The Pima Community College women's basketball team (2-3) closed out the regular season on Friday on one of the highest notes.
- The No. 16 ranked Aztecs defeated Cochise College 83-68 giving Pima Assistant Coach Jim Rosborough his 1,000 career coaching win that started in 1974-75 season with Lute Olson at the University of Iowa.
- "My sons have kept me updated. I didn't feel pressure but I wanted to get it over with and focus on the team," Rosborough said. "I'm happy to get it done. I've been lucky; (one) my wife (Kim) didn't divorce me in 42 years. (Two) The head coaches I've worked with (Lute Olson and J.D. Barnett), I've had great coaches all my career and am very fortunate. I've never had a jerk.
"Just like what Roy Williams said 'I feel I'm the luckiest man in the world.' I like this team, and working with Todd (Holthaus) has been very rewarding. I've missed one practice in 50 years and I've never taken a possession off. I'm still upright."
- The Aztecs trailed 48-39 at halftime but outscored the Apaches 44-20 in the second half (22-10 in each quarter).
- Sophomore Nikya Orange (Tanque Verde HS) led the Aztecs with a team-high 19 points and 12 rebounds (eight offensive) with four assists. Orange went 9 for 13 from the field.
- Sophomore Sierra Mich'l also had a double-double of 14 points and 10 rebounds to go along with four blocks. Sophomore Fama Thiam (Highland HS) finished with 14 points, four rebounds and five assists.
The Aztecs will play in the NJCAA Division II Southwest District Championship game on Friday, April 9. The game will be at 6:00 p.m. Their opponent is TBD.
CC 19 29 10 10 68
PCC 17 22 22 22 83