The Pima Community College men's track & field team completed the first day of competition at the NJCAA Region I Championships on Tuesday at Mesa Community College.
- The Aztecs are in first place with a total team score of 105 points. Central Arizona College is in second place with 69 points while Mesa sits in third with 61 points. Paradise Valley Community College has 45 points and Glendale Community College rounds out the field with 14.
- Sophomore Mikhail Browne captured the Region I crown in the long jump after he finished with a season-best jump of 7.31 meters (23-feet, 11-inches). His first place finish earned Pima 10 team points. The Aztecs have won the region title in the long jump four of the last five years.
- Freshman Chalen Lozano (Marana HS) took home the Region I title in the 10,000 meters race finishing with a national qualifying time of 32 minutes, 53.64 seconds. The Aztecs earned 10 points with his finish.
- Freshman Reece Gardner (Marana HS) claimed his region title in the decathlon with a total of 6005 points giving the Aztecs 10 team points.
- Freshman Bryce Williams earned second place in the pole vault with a mark of 4.60 meters (15-1). He earned eight points for Pima.
- Freshmen Reise Way (Buena HS) and Emmanuel Corral (Pusch Ridge Christian HS) each earned six team points for the Aztecs with their third place finishes. Way took third in the javelin with a mark of 52.15 meters (171-1) and Corral placed third in the 3,000 meter steeplechase with a season-best time of 10:06.02.
Other Pima finishes and points scored at the Region I Championships:
- James Pruitt (Ironwood Ridge HS) – 3rd in Decathlon (4561 points) 6 points
- Ali Mohamed (Desert View HS) – 4th in Decathlon (4269 points) 5 points
- Donovan Henderson – 4th in Long Jump (6.81 meters) 5 points
- Adrian Teso (Benson HS) – 4th in Hammer Throw (40.13 meters) 5 points; 6th in Javelin (38.09 meters) 3 points
- Zach Zobak, Brendan Torres (Empire HS), Avery Dylla (Ironwood Ridge HS) and Caleb Rayman (Cienega HS) – 4th in 4x800 meter relay (8:10.16) 5 points
- Reece Gardner (Marana HS) – 4th in Pole Vault (4.45 meters) 5 points; 5th in Javelin (44.61 meter) 4 points
- Kenneth Applegate (Show Low HS) – 5th in Decathlon (3832 points) 4 points
- Zachary Maxwell (Show Low HS) – 6th in Hammer Throw (36.67 meters) 3 points
- Gabriel Puelo – 6th in 3,000 meter steeplechase (10:15.05) 3 points
- Octavius Thomas (Tucson Magnet HS) – 6th in Long Jump (6.73 meters) 3 points
- Preston Becker (Youngker HS) – 7th place in Hammer Throw (36.23 meters) 2 points
- Connor Ivie (Basha HS) – 8th in Long Jump (6.39 meters) 1 point
Alejandro Corrales (Nogales HS) – 8th in 3,000 meter steeplechase (11:09.54) 1 point