The Pima Community College volleyball team (7-5, 4-1 in ACCAC) continued its stellar play on the home floor after beating South Mountain Community College (3-8, 0-3) on Tuesday at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs defeated the Cougars in straight sets 25-15, 25-22, 25-20 to move to 3-0 on the Aztec Gym floor.
- The Aztecs scored the first 10 of 11 points in the first set. Sophomore Haley Duncan (Walden Grove HS) had three straight kills and sophomore Andrea Vigil-German (Ironwood Ridge HS) provided three aces during that stretch. Pima's biggest lead was at 19-5 after sophomore Deanna Almaguer's kill.
- In the second set, the Aztecs took a slim lead but the Cougars rallied to tie it up at 13-13. Vigil-German put down a kill to get the lead back for the Aztecs. Pima would score the next three points with sophomore Karla Soto (Nogales HS) capping off the run with an ace making it 17-13 forcing South Mountain to call timeout. Vigil-German scored the final kill to put the Aztecs up 2-0 in the match.
- The Aztecs trailed 14-13 in the third set but rallied off seven of the next eight points to take the lead at 20-15 which was capped off by sophomore Isabella Jacome's ace. The Cougars cut into the lead and got as close as one point at 21-20 but the Aztecs scored the next four points to seal it. Freshman Isabella Horn (Mogollon HS), Almaguer and freshman Lina Kassimatis had kills in those final set points.
- Almaguer led the Aztecs with nine kills while Vigil-German finished with eight kills, six digs and three aces. Duncan posted seven kills.
- Soto finished with 14 assists, eight digs and three aces and Jacome had 10 assists, six digs, three aces and two kills. Sophomore Aydalis Felix (Rincon HS) closed out the match with 15 assists and three assists.
The Aztecs face a tough test on Wednesday when they play at No. 19 ranked Glendale Community College. First volley is set at 7:00 p.m.