The Pima Community College volleyball team's 2019 season came to a close on Saturday at Scottsdale Community College.
- The No. 3 seeded Aztecs fell in straight sets to No. 1 Scottsdale Community College 25-15, 25-16, 25-19 in the NJCAA Region I, Division II finals. This is the second straight year the Aztecs have claimed the runner-up plaque and the third time (2014, 2018, 2019) in six years.
- The Aztecs surrendered 11 of the first 13 points of the first set and trailed much of the set by double digits.
- In the second set, the Aztecs fell behind 8-4 but two kills and a block by sophomore Madi Nash (Sahuaro HS) helped secure five straight points to give Pima a 9-8 lead. The Artichokes took the next three points to recapture the lead. The Aztecs kept it close and made it 17-15 but the Artichokes had another surge with five straight points to make it 22-15.
- The Aztecs trailed for much of the third set but tied it at 12-12 after sophomore Grace Adams' (Sabino HS) ace. Pima tied it again at 13-13 but Scottsdale scored eight of the next nine points to take a 21-14 advantage.
- Nash finished with her 15th double-double of the season as she posted a team-high 11 kills to go with 10 digs and two blocks. Fellow sophomore Jade Romine (Canyon del Oro HS) had seven kills and a team-high 18 digs while sophomore Kaleigh Hockett (Desert Mountain HS) contributed with 22 assists and six digs.
- Sophomore Kendall Deeter (Mountain View HS) had eight kills and freshman Aydalis Felix (Rincon HS) had 15 digs.
- "Not the result we planned on or hoped for today, but I am proud of our team's determination and spirit," Pima volleyball coach Dan Bithell said. "We fought until the end and we have so many great moments to be grateful for."
The Aztecs finished the season with a 15-14 overall record and a 7-3 mark at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium. This was the fourth time the Aztecs have made the Region I, Division II playoffs in six years.