The Pima Community College volleyball team (13-12, 8-7 in ACCAC) closed out the regular season on Friday by putting a scare on undefeated Scottsdale Community College (22-4, 15-0).
- The Aztecs rallied from a 2-0 deficit to tie the match but fell in the fifth set tiebreaker to the No. 4 ranked Artichokes 26-24, 25-18, 17-25, 21-25, 15-12.
- The Aztecs kept the tiebreaker close as they tied the set at 9-9 and again at 11-11. The Artichokes scored the next two points and the Aztecs cut the deficit to one at 13-12. The Artichokes went on to score the final two set points to win the match.
- The Aztecs were in good position to win the first set as they took a 24-18 advantage but the Artichokes scored the final eight points to steal it.
- "While the team and I are disappointed we couldn't pull it all the way back tonight, I am so proud of our determination and spirit," Pima volleyball coach Dan Bithell said. "We have learned so much about what it means to be a selfless teammate this season; that selflessness is exactly what put us back in the match in the last three sets."
- Sophomore Jade Romine (Canyon del Oro HS) finished with a double-double as she had a team-high of 21 kills along with 18 digs. Fellow sophomore Madi Nash (Sahuaro HS) also posted a double-double of 17 kills and a team-high 21 digs.
- Sophomore Kendall Deeter (Mountain View HS) posted double figures with 12 kills to go with six blocks and two aces. Sophomore Emily Robinson (Cienega HS) also had six blocks as well as seven kills and 11 digs.
- Freshman Aydalis Felix (Rincon HS) finished with 26 digs and two aces while sophomore Kaleigh Hockett (esert Mountain HS) had 52 assists, nine digs and two aces.
- The Aztecs will return to Scottsdale's floor for the NJCAA Region I, Division II tournament next week.
- "This type of effort and teamwork, I feel, will carry through into the region playoffs. Hopefully we found some comfort playing on Scottsdale's floor as we will need more performances like this if we want to keep the season going," Bithell said. "I am excited about our opportunities next week and I am looking forward to enjoying a few more social moments with this team."
The Aztecs will be the No. 3 seed for the NJCAA Region I, Division II Tournament. It will begin on Thursday as all matches will be played at Scottsdale Community College.