The Pima Community College volleyball team (4-8, 1-4 in ACCAC) found itself in a dog fight on Friday against South Mountain Community College (7-10, 2-3).
- The Aztecs rallied to force the fifth-set tiebreaker but fell in the end to the Cougars (21-25, 25-15, 25-20, 18-25, 15-13).
- The Aztecs took an early 5-2 lead in the tiebreaker but the Cougars scored the next five points to put the Aztecs behind 7-5. Pima tied it up on two occasions; including at 11-11 but could not overtake the lead in the end.
- In the first set with the score tied at 19-19, the Aztecs scored the final six of eight points as sophomore Madi Nash (Sahuaro HS) capped off the set-victory with a kill. The Cougars took the lead in the match by winning the second and third sets.
- The Aztecs controlled the fourth set and took a 17-6 lead. The Cougars got as close as three points but a couple of kills by freshman Kaitlyn Cook helped the Aztecs maintain their lead.
- Nash and Cook each finished with double-doubles. Nash had 12 kills and 18 digs while Cook had 25 assists and 13 digs.
- Freshman Bergen Campbell had five kills, 10 digs and three blocks and sophomore Emily Robinson (Cienega HS) posted eight kills and five blocks.
- Freshman Aydalis Felix (Rincon HS) had 17 digs wile sophomore Grace Adams (Sabino HS) finished with 15 digs.
The Aztecs head back out on the road as they play at Glendale Community College on Wednesday. First serve will be at 7:00 p.m.