The Pima Community College volleyball team (4-5) got back on track in a non-conference match on Friday against an NJCAA Division I team.
- The Aztecs defeated the College of Southern Nevada in four sets 25-23, 25-16, 23-25, 25-13 at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs opened a seven-point lead at 14-7 but the Coyotes (3-6) rallied to tie it at 15-15. Pima fell behind 23-22 but freshman Savanna White's (Payson HS) and sophomore Jade Romine's (Canyon del Oro HS) ace sparked a rally and the Aztecs scored the final three points to take the first set.
- The Aztecs took a 12-9 lead in the second set and scored the next seven of nine points to widen their lead to 19-11. Sophomore Kaleigh Hockett (Desert Mountain HS) put down the final kill to give the Aztecs a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Aztecs took a 9-2 lead early in the third set but the Coyotes chipped away and scored the final two points to claim the third game.
- In the fourth set, the Aztecs never trailed. They took an 8-6 lead and scored seven of the next 10 points to take a 15-9 advantage. Then Pima scored five straight points to take a double digit lead at 20-9.
- Hockett finished the match with 28 assists, three kills, three aces and three digs. Sophomore Madi Nash (Sahuaro HS) led the team with 13 kills to go along with seven digs, two blocks and one ace.
- Romine finished with seven kills, seven digs, three aces and two blocks while White also contributed with seven kills.
- Sophomore Mackenzie Welch (Willcox HS) had five kills and four blocks while freshman Courtney Ely (Ironwood Ridge HS) finished with five kills and two blocks.
The Aztecs will get back to ACCAC conference competition on Wednesday when they play at Yavapai College in Prescott. First serve is at 7:00 p.m.