The Pima Community College volleyball team (3-2, 1-0 in ACCAC) opened ACCAC conference play on Wednesday against Phoenix College at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs earned victories in the first two sets and defeated the Bears in four (25-15, 25-22, 22-25, 25-22).
- With the fourth set tied at 21-21, the Aztecs earned two straight points. Sophomore Jade Romine (Canyon del Oro HS) put down a kill to make it 23-21. Sophomore Emily Robinson (Cienega HS) had a kill to set the Aztecs up for match point. Romine and fellow sophomore Kendall Deeter (Mountain View HS) were at the net for the final block to seal the win.
- Up 10-7 in the first set, the Aztecs rallied off five straight points as Romine had two kills and two aces in that stretch. They scored the final four points of the game.
- The Aztecs fell behind early in the second set 5-1 but rallied off eight of the next nine points to take the lead. They led for much of the set but fell behind 21-20. Deeter's kill tied the game at 22-22 and Romine's kill set up match point 24-22. A Bears' shot went out and the Aztecs took a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Bears broke a 20-20 tie with three straight points in the third set to cut into Pima's lead in the match.
- Romine finished with a double-double of 15 kills and 15 digs to go along with three aces and three blocks. Sophomore Madi Nash (Sahuaro HS) also finished with a double-double with 14 kills and 11 digs.
- Sophomore Kaleigh Hockett (Desert Mountain HS) posted 37 assists while sophomore Grace Adams (Sabino HS) had 28 digs.
- Deeter had nine blocks and sophomore Mackenzie Welch (Willcox HS) finished with nine kills and three blocks.
The Aztecs will play a couple of non-conference matches on Monday in Thatcher. They will face off with Utah State University-Eastern at 1:00 p.m. and then Eastern Arizona College at 5:00 p.m.