The Pima Community College women's tennis team opened competition in the NJCAA Division I Tournament on Sunday in Tyler, TX.
- The Aztecs finished with four team points on the day after getting wins at No. 5 singles and No. 2 doubles.
- Freshman Jazmin Nunez (Cholla HS) rallied back in her opening round match at No. 5 singles to beat Juliet Quintero from New Mexico Military Institute 2-6, 6-3, 6-4. She will face Ashlyn Locke from Copiah-Lincoln Community College (MS) in Monday's second round.
- The No. 2 doubles duo of sophomore Ashley Fitzsimmons (Walden Grove HS) and freshman Valeria Miranda (Sunnyside HS) defeated Thandi Kololo and Molly Lennon from Iowa Central College 6-3, 6-1. They advance to play No. 1 seeded Helena Jansen and Summer Yardley from Tyler Junior College in the second round.
- Fitzsimmons fell in her No. 3 singles match to Nora Ortega from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (GA) 6-3, 6-2 while Miranda lost in her No. 4 singles match to Sofia Bellucco from Seward County Community College 6-0, 6-0. Fitzsimmons will play Karla Ortega from St. Petersburg College (FL) at No. 3 singles consolation. Miranda will go up against Cindy Anders from Mesa Community College in No. 4 singles consolation play.
- Freshman Olivia Manheimer (Ironwood Ridge HS) fell to Julia Candiotto from Barton Community College (KS) 6-3, 6-1 in her No. 1 singles match. Manheimer will play Miranda Griechen from Lewis & Clark Community College (IL) in the consolation bracket.
- Freshman Melina Oropeza (Nogales HS) dropped her No. 2 singles match to No. 8 seeded Noemi Aguirre from Hartford Community College (MD) 6-0, 6-2. Oropeza will face off with Sofia Stepanoff from Mercer County Community College (NJ) in the consolation round.
- Manheimer and Oropeza fell in their No. 1 doubles opening round match to Paula Coronado and Carmen Manicea from Copiah-Lincoln 6-3, 6-1. They move to the No. 1 doubles consolation bracket to play Morgan Bishop and Olivia Hayes from Central Alabama Community College.
- Freshman Noelia Carbajal (Sunnyside HS) dropped her No. 6 singles match to Veronica Gallardo from Tyler Junior College 6-1, 6-0. She will move on to No. 6 singles consolation bracket play.
- Nunez and Carbajal lost their No. 3 doubles match to Rebekah Clark and Nicole Maldonado from Collin College (TX) 6-3, 6-1. They will move to consolation bracket play.
The Aztecs continue play in the NJCAA Division I Tournament on Monday starting at 8:30 a.m. (CDT).
See complete results of each flight at the NJCAA Division I Tournament