The Pima Community College women's tennis team (5-3) closed out the regular season on Tuesday against Paradise Valley Community College at the West Campus Tennis Courts.
- The Aztecs defeated the Pumas 7-2 and swept the regular season meetings. Pima won 6-3 last month in Phoenix.
- The Aztecs played tough doubles matches but were able to secure all three victories. Freshmen duo Olivia Manheimer (Ironwood Ridge HS) and Melina Oropeza (Nogales HS) defeated Tia Silva and Baylee Decker 8-6 in the No. 1 doubles match. Sophomore Ashley Fitzsimmons and freshman Valeria Miranda (Sunnyside HS) won their No. 2 doubles match over Samantha Jo and Calli Chance 8-5. At No. 3 doubles, freshmen Jazmin Nunez (Cholla HS) and Noelia Carbajal (Sunnyside HS) beat Leah Bookbinder and Beatriz Lara 8-6.
- The Aztecs took four of the six singles matches. Manheimer defeated Silva 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 1 singles match.
- Oropeza upended Jo 6-4, 6-1 in the No. 2 singles match while Nunez downed Bookbinder at the No. 5 singles spot 6-1, 6-2. Carbajal won the No. 6 singles match by forfeit.
- Fitzsimmons dropped her No. 3 singles match Decker 6-3, 6-2. Miranda played a tough No. 4 singles match but lost to Chance 7-6 (7-3), 6-2.
The Aztecs will play in the NJCAA Region I Championships on Tuesday and Wednesday, Apr. 16-17 at the Paseo Racquet Center in Glendale, AZ. Competition begins around 8:00 a.m. on both days.