The Pima Community College women's tennis team opened the 2019 season Tuesday at the West Campus Tennis Courts against Mesa Community College.
- The Aztecs fell to the No. 15 ranked Thunderbirds 8-1.
- Freshman Jazmin Nunez (Cholla HS) picked up the solo win for the Aztecs at No. 5 singles as she beat Alahzay Rossi in three-sets 6-1, 2-6, 6-2.
- Freshman Olivia Manheimer (Ironwood Ridge HS) lost her No. 1 singles match to Ana Villalavazo 6-1, 6-0.
- Freshman Melina Oropeza (Nogales HS) got shut out in her match against Sabrina Sanchez 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2 singles.
- Sophomore Ashley Fitzsimmons (Walden Grove HS) fell to Paige Stanford at No. 3 singles 6-2, 6-3.
- Freshman Valeria Miranda (Sunnyside HS) played at No. 4 singles and dropped her match to Brooke Maclay 6-0, 6-0.
- The Aztecs were forced to forfeit the No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles matches. Manheimer and Oropeza lost to Villavazo and Sanchez 8-0 in their No. 1 doubles match. Fitzsimmons and Miranda lost to Stanford and Maclay 8-1 at No. 2 doubles.
The Aztecs are scheduled to host an exhibition against the New Mexico Military Institute on Saturday, Mar. 9. They are looking to reschedule their ACCAC conference match against Eastern Arizona College for potentially Thursday, Mar. 7. Keep up with pimaaztecs.com for confirmation.