Posted: Oct 16, 2021
The Pima Community College women's soccer team (11-3, 6-2 in ACCAC) got back on track with a decisive win on the road on Saturday at Paradise Valley Community College (5-5-1, 2-4-1).
- The No. 7 ranked Aztecs defeated the Pumas 4-0. The win gave head coach Kendra Veliz her 250th career victory with the Pima women's soccer program. This is her 20th season at the helm with her overall record at 250-105-25.
- Coach's Quote: "I am proud to be a part of a winning tradition at Pima. For this team in particular, it was a big win because we are still trying to solidify our spot in the playoffs and have a "winning season," Veliz said. "There's a handful of players who returned for a third year because of Covid and I'm happy they were able to be a part of this."
- The Aztecs scored two goals in each half. Sophomore Kaitlyn Bassett put Pima on the board in the 26th minute with an assist from freshman Marilyn McFeaters (Palo Verde HS).
- Freshman Caitlyn Maher (Catalina Foothills HS) made it 2-0 with her goal in the 29th minute as freshman Alexus Mendez (Tucson Magnet HS) provided the assist.
- Bassett and Maher were part of the second half goals as well. Maher assisted in freshman Delaney Buntin's (Cienega HS) goal in the 59th minute to make it 3-0.
- Sophomore Seti Valencia (Sunnyside HS) capped off the game with her score in the 85th minute which was set up by Bassett.
- The Aztecs outshot the Pumas 10-2 in on-goal attempts. Sophomore Angelina Amparano (Salpointe Catholic HS) finished with two saves.
- The Aztecs close out the regular season with two home games next week at the West Campus Aztec Soccer Field. They will host Cochise College on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.