Posted: Jan 19, 2022
The Pima Community College women's basketball team (12-6, 5-4 in ACCAC) struggled to keep up with Arizona Western College (16-1, 5-1) on Wednesday in Yuma.
- The No. 11 ranked Aztecs (Division II) fell behind early and couldn't recover as they fell 69-40 to the No. 25 ranked Matadors (Division I)
- The Matadors scored the first 11 points of the game and held Pima scoreless for the first eight minutes. The Aztecs cut into the early deficit as sophomore Nikya Orange (Tanque Verde HS) scored eight straight points for the Aztecs. The Aztecs trailed 13-8 early in the second quarter but the Matadors went on a 12-0 run to make it 25-8. Pima went into the locker room down 29-13.
- The Aztecs shot 24 percent from the field (16 for 66) and were out-rebounded 47-38.
- Orange finished with a team-high eight points while freshman Jaden Leslie (Dobson HS) scored seven points off the bench. Sophomore Keara Felix had six points and eight rebounds off the bench.
- The Aztecs and the Matadors split the regular season head-to-head meetings. The Aztecs won the first meeting 61-59 on Nov. 17 at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs hit the road for the third straight game on Saturday when they play at Central Arizona College. Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.
PCC 6 7 14 13 40
AWC 13 16 20 20 69