Posted: Jan 15, 2022
The Pima Community College women's basketball team (12-5, 5-3 in ACCAC) overcame an early deficit but couldn't hold its lead in the end at Eastern Arizona College (18-2, 8-2).
- The No. 8 ranked Aztecs (Division II) fell to the No. 15 Gila Monsters (Division I) 54-52 on Saturday in Thatcher.
- The Aztecs held their biggest lead at 52-47 with 1:21 left but went scoreless the remainder of the game. With the score tied at 52-52, freshman Angel Addleman (Palo Verde HS) missed a pair of free throws and the Gila Monsters scored in the paint with 0.4 seconds. Eastern Arizona knocked the ball out of bounds as time expired.
- The Aztecs trailed 40-27 mid-way into the third quarter but went on a 17-2 run that carried into the start of the fourth quarter. It was capped off by Addleman's basket to put the Aztecs ahead for the first time at 44-42 with 6:25 left in the game. The Aztecs fell behind at 45-44 but got back-to-back buckets from freshman Luisayde Chavez (Rio Rico HS) and sophomore Keara Felix to make it 48-45.
- Up 48-47, the Aztecs capitalized on an Eastern Arizona turnover and sophomore Melissa Simmons scored to make it a three-point advantage at 50-47. Simmons dropped another basket to give Pima the 52-47 lead.
- The Aztecs fell behind early as the Gila Monsters open the game on an 18-3 run. They countered with 1 15-2 run to cut the deficit to 24-21. The Aztecs trailed 28-24 at halftime.
- Chavez finished with a team-high 11 points and nine rebounds. Addleman posted nine points while Simmons and freshman Jaden Leslie (Dobson HS) each added seven points. Felix closed out the game with six points and seven rebounds.
- The Aztecs will be back on the road on Wednesday when they play at Arizona Western College. Tipoff is set for 5:30 p.m.
PCC 9 15 11 17 52
EAC 20 8 12 14 54