The Pima Community College women's basketball team (15-7, 9-6 in ACCAC) came up short in its comeback bid at Central Arizona College (20-3, 15-0) on Saturday in Coolidge.
- The Aztecs, trailing by double digits after three quarters, fell to the No. 13 ranked Vaqueras 80-75.
- The Aztecs trailed 46-26 at halftime but outscored the Vaqueras 21-14 in the third quarter to cut it to 60-47. The Aztecs again outscored the Vaqueras 28-20 in the fourth quarter and got the deficit cut to three points with 29 seconds left.
- Sophomore Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) scored a season-high 27 points to go along with six rebounds and two steals. She shot 9 for 23 from the field and went 8 for 8 from the free throw line.
- Freshman Fama Thiam (Highland HS) fell short of a double-double as she posted 17 points, eight rebounds and two steals. She went 6 for 6 from the foul line. Sophomore Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) also finished in double figures with 14 points.
- The Aztecs went 26 for 30 at the free throw line.
The Aztecs return to the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Wednesday when they host Scottsdale Community College. Tipoff is at 5:30 p.m.