The Pima Community College women's basketball team (9-3) earned a huge comeback victory against a Division I team on Tuesday in the second day of the Bruce Fleck Classic.
- The No. 9 ranked Aztecs outscored Snow College 23-9 in the fourth quarter to beat the Badgers 59-54.
- Down 45-36 entering the fourth quarter, the Aztecs went on a 9-0 run with baskets from sophomores Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) and Marlena Arroyo-Plata (Campo Verde HS). Sophomore Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) capped off the run with a three-pointer to tie it up at 45-45 with 4:55 left.
- The Badgers scored on back-to-back possessions to retake the lead but the Aztecs responded with freshman Fama Thiam (Highland HS), who scored a jumper and put the Aztecs up 50-49 after she drained a three-pointer with 2:06 remaining. Thiam grabbed a defense rebound on Snow's next possession forcing the Badgers to call timeout with 1:33 left.
- Freshman Sierra Mich'l and Perez scored on Pima's next two possessions to give Pima some breathing room at 54-49.
- With the score at 54-51, freshman Aaliyah Ortiz (Palo Verde HS) missed two free throws but she stole the ball on Snow's next possession and turned it into a three-point play giving the Aztecs their biggest lead at 57-51. The Badgers would hit a three-pointer but would be charged a technical foul because they were out of timeouts. Ortiz hit the final two free throws to seal the game.
- Thiam led the way with a team-high 14 points while Mich'l scored 12 points on 6 for 8 shooting to go along with five rebounds and five blocks. Perez was also in double figures with 11 points. Ortiz finished with five points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals.
The Aztecs close out play in the Bruce Fleck Classic on Wednesday against United Tribes Technical College. Tipoff is set for 3:00 p.m.
SC 15 20 10 9 54
PCC 15 10 11 23 59