The Pima Community College women's basketball team (8-3) opened play in the ninth annual Bruce Fleck Classic on Monday with a dominating performance.
- The No. 9 ranked Aztecs defeated the Arizona Christian University JV team 103-48. The Aztecs outscored the Firestorm 18-6 in the second quarter to take a 44-22 lead at halftime. The Aztecs opened the third quarter with a 21-4 run and led 80-32 entering the fourth quarter.
- The Aztecs played 14 players and they all scored a basket. Freshman Sierra Mich'l led the way with 14 points on 7 for 9 shooting. She also had five rebounds and two steals.
- Freshman Justine Cooper (Chandler Prep) scored 13 points off the bench as she hit three 3-pointers. She also had seven rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Sophomore Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) contributed with 12 points. Sophomore Haile Gleason went 3 for 5 from three-point range to score nine points. Sophomore Marlena Arroyo-Plata (Campo Verde HS) and Dianne Hefner each scored eight.
- During halftime, sophomores Haile Gleason and Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) became the 10th and 11th recipients of the Bruce Fleck Scholarship Award. The award goes to a women's basketball player who best exemplifies work in the classroom as well as on and off the court. It is in honor of the late coach. Gleason and Lawson received book scholarships, an individual plaque and their names displayed in the gym of previous recipients.
- The past recipients of the award are Nadi Carey (2011), Alyssa Roche (2012), Rachel Williams (2013), Adrianna Barrientez (2014), Hayley Pryor (2015), Erin Peterson (2016), Katey Roquemore (2017), Hailey Goley (2018) and Shauna Bribiescas (2018).
The Aztecs continue play on Tuesday as they face off against Snow College (Division I) at 5:00 p.m.
ACUJV 16 6 10 16 48
PCC 26 18 36 23 103