Time ran out on the Pima Community College women's basketball team on Wednesday in its NJCAA Division II Tournament quarterfinal game.
- The No. 6 seeded Aztecs fell to No. 3 Kansas City Kansas Community College 82-68 and will now play in the consolation bracket game on Thursday.
- Down 74-52 with 6:07 left in the game, the Aztecs continued to claw and went on a 16-4 run in five and a half minutes to cut it to 78-68 with 1:29 left. The Blue Devils scored the final four points of the game to close it out.
- The Aztecs struggled with keeping the Blue Devils off the offensive glass as Kansas City opened the second quarter on a 12-0 run and put the Aztecs in a 25-13 hole. The Aztecs were outscored 23-7 for the quarter and trailed 36-20 at the break. The Blue Devils had 12 offensive rebounds in the first half and finished with 16 for the game.
- "The second quarter got away from us but we knew it was going to be a fight," Pima coach Todd Holthaus said. "They're a super athletic team; they can shoot the 3 (pointer), go inside like a team we probably haven't seen all year. I challenged them at halftime and I said, 'Hey look we can't mail this in, we got to come out fighting.' We cut a 20-point lead down to 10. I couldn't be prouder of the effort. The ladies stayed in the fight; doing the little things we asked and the things we take pride in every day."
- The Blue Devils went on a 7-0 run to start the third quarter as the Aztecs trailed by as much as 26 points at 50-24.
- Sophomore Jacqulynn Nakai (Coconino HS) scored a game-high 32 points on 10 for 23 shooting to go along with eight rebounds, six steals and four assists. She scored 13 of Pima's 16 points during a stretch in the third quarter.
- Freshman Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) finished with 10 points on 3 for 4 shooting while freshman Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) fell short of a double-double with nine points and eight rebounds. Sophomore Shauna Bribiescas (Dobson HS) had eight points.
The Aztecs will play No. 2 seed North Iowa Area Community College (28-6) on Thursday in a consolation bracket game. Tipoff is at 3:00 p.m. (CT); 1:00 p.m. (MST).
PCC 13 7 22 26 68
KCK 13 23 24 22 82