The Pima Community College women's basketball team (21-11) sit on top of the mountain once again as the program claimed its fifth NJCAA Region I, Division II championship on Saturday.
- The No. 1 seeded Aztecs defeated No. 2 Mesa Community College 80-58. This was the 10th meeting in 11 years between the two programs in the region finals. The home team has won each meeting. The Thunderbirds had won the previous two titles
- After a tight first quarter which the Aztecs led 18-16, freshman Haile Gleason set the tone in the second quarter by scoring five straight points forcing Mesa to call timeout. The Aztecs used a 12-3 run to take their first double digit lead at 30-19 forcing the Thunderbirds to call another timeout with 4:13 left in the half. Pima led 40-23 at the break after outscoring the Thunderbirds 22-7 in the quarter.
- Sophomore Jacqulynn Nakai (Coconino HS) took over scoring 22 of her 30 points in the second half. She went 8 for 14 from the floor and 11 for 12 from the free throw line. She was named the game's Most Valuable Player.
- Sophomore RyLeigh Long hit some huge three-pointers as she finished with 13 points and went 3 for 5 from long range. Freshman Alyssa Perez (Marana HS) went 5 for 9 from the floor and finished with 12 points.
- Freshman Hallie Lawson (Campo Verde HS) contributed with 10 points on 5 for 7 shooting and sophomore Shauna Bribiescas (Dobson HS) had eight points and 10 rebounds.
- The Aztecs have won seven of their last eight games and finished 12-4 on the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium floor this season.
The women's basketball NJCAA Division II Tournament will be in Harrison, AR on Mar. 19-23.
MCC 16 7 19 16 58
PCC 18 22 19 21 80