The Pima Community College women's basketball team (12-9, 8-5 in ACCAC) avenged a loss from earlier this season and sophomore Jacqulynn Nakai (Coconino HS) reached a Pima career milestone on Saturday in Thatcher.
- The No. 15 ranked Aztecs (Division II) downed Eastern Arizona College (Division I) 83-76 gaining revenge on their loss to the Gila Monsters at the West Campus Gym back in November.
- Nakai scored her 1,000-career point with 1:30 left in the first half as part of a three-point play. She became just the third Pima women's basketball player to accomplish the feat.
- Nakai finished the game with 35 points putting her at a career total of 1,019 points. Tia Morrison (Copper Canyon HS) has the record with 1,194 points. Sydni Stallworth (Palo Verde HS) finished her Pima career with 1,103 points.
- "It was really great to get this milestone tonight; the tempo and the energy of the game was amazing," Nakai said. "The hard work I'm putting in is paying off. Definitely awesome to be in the company of just two other people."
- Nakai got to meet Stallworth over the summer and she credits that five minute meeting with motivating her even more.
- "She's a good person. It was good getting to know her. It fueled me even more talking with her. She let me know the work I'm putting in is benefiting me."
- The Aztecs trailed 37-34 at halftime but outscored the Gila Monsters 25-13 in the third quarter to take the lead at 59-50.
- Sophomore Shuna Bribiescas (Dobson HS) finished with a double-double of 16 points and 10 rebounds while freshman Hallie Lawson scored 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
The Aztecs return to the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Wednesday when they host Arizona Western College (Division I). Tipoff is at 5:30 p.m.
PCC 15 19 25 24 83
EAC 22 15 13 26 76