The Pima Community College women's basketball team (5-7) returned to the West Campus Gymnasium on Monday in the first day of the eighth annual Bruce Fleck Classic.
- The Aztecs were scoreless for seven minutes in the fourth quarter and fell to Bismarck State College 86-79.
- Sophomores Shauna Bribiescas (Dobson HS) and RyLeigh Long drained back-to-back three-pointers to open the fourth quarter to give the Aztecs a 74-65 lead. The Mystics (10-1) went on an 11-0 run to take their first lead of the game at 76-74.
- Freshman Haile Gleason hit a three-pointer to put the Aztecs ahead 79-78 with 1:29 left but the Mystics scored the final eight points of the game.
- The Aztecs held their biggest lead of the game in the second quarter at 43-29 and were up 47-38 at halftime.
- Bribiescas scored a team-high 25 points on 11 for 16 shooting. She also had nine rebounds and five steals. Sophomore Jacqulynn Nakai (Coconino HS) finished with 18 points and nine assists.
- Long and Gleason each contributed with 11 points.
- During halftime, sophomores Hailey Goley (Tanque Verde HS) and Shauna Bribiescas (Dobson HS) became the eighth and ninth recipients of the Bruce Fleck Scholarship Award. The award goes to a women's basketball player who best exemplifies work in the classroom as well as on and off the court. It is in honor of the late coach. Goley and Bribiescas received book scholarships, an individual plaque and their names displayed in the gym of previous recipients. The past recipients of the award are Nadi Carey (2011), Alyssa Roche (2012), Rachel Williams (2013), Adrianna Barrientez (2014), Hayley Pryor (2015), Erin Peterson (2016) and Katey Roquemore (2017).
The Aztecs return for the second day of the Bruce Fleck Classic on Tuesday when they play Western Texas College at 5:00 p.m.
BSC 17 21 27 21 86
PCC 27 20 21 11 79