The Pima Community College softball program announced a new edition to its coaching staff on Sunday.
- Taylor McQuillin, who is fresh off leading the University of Arizona to its first Women's College World Series appearance since 2010, has agreed to join the Aztecs as an assistant coach starting in the fall. She will assist pitching coach Nicki Johnson.
- McQuillin, who is currently playing for the Cleveland Comets in National Pro Fastpitch, is excited about the new challenge with Pima softball.
- "My hope in working with this team is to help further grow their knowledge of the game and for me to learn from the coaches at Pima as well," McQuillin said. "I hope the pitching staff as a whole is able to work together to win Pima a lot of ball games. It is not easy to be a pitcher at this level but in working with Nicki, I feel that this staff will learn how to compete to the best of their abilities."
- McQuillin joins head coach Rebekah Quiroz and assistant coach Jennifer Martinez, who are also University of Arizona softball alumni.
- "I think my favorite part of working with Pima and being a part of their program is being in a staff with Arizona alumni who understand what it takes to win."
- Pima softball head coach Rebekah Quiroz (Quote): "We (coaching staff) have the knowledge and the experience but Taylor is going to bring a deep and competitive edge just coming off her Arizona career. She is going to bring a different perspective. My goal is for her to work with our pitching coach Nicki Johnson as close as possible, Nicki is going to show her a lot especially how to hone her teaching skills. I am honored to have two Division I pitchers on my coaching staff to help mentor and motivate."
- Athletic Director Jim Monaco (Quote): "It's an incredible opportunity for our girls to learn from someone who has pitched at the highest level of college softball."
The Aztecs softball team finished the 2019 season with a 30-28 overall record and a third place finish at the NJCAA Region I, Division I Tournament. They begin the fall season in August and the 2020 spring season in January.