Posted: May 11, 2019
The Pima Community College softball team's 2019 season came to an end on Saturday in an NJCAA Region I, Division I elimination game against Arizona Western College.
- The No. 4 seeded Aztecs fell to the No. 1 seeded Matadors 11-2 in 5 innings. The Aztecs finished in third place and Arizona Western moved on to the championship series with Central Arizona College.
- The Pima offense put runs on the board in the 1st inning. After sophomore Alese Casper drew a walk, fellow sophomore Devynn Marshall (Shadow Ridge HS) drove her in with an RBI triple. Sophomore Maria Vanezza Caldera (Tucson HS) followed with an RBI double to bring in Marshall to give the Aztecs a 2-0 lead.
- The Matadors matched the run production with two runs in the 1st inning and took over with three in the 2nd inning and six runs in the 4th to put the Aztecs in a run-rule situation.
- Sophomore Janice Garcia (Rio Rico HS) led off the 5th inning with a single but she was out on a fielder's choice. Casper was hit by a pitch and with two outs, Caldera drew a walk to load the bases. Sophomore Alizea Durazo-Corday (Pueblo HS) flied out to end the game.
- The Aztecs managed just three hits after the 1st inning and they left six runners on base.
- Marshall finished 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored while Caldera went 1 for 2 with an RBI and a walk. Freshman Amaya Turner-Vizcarra (Tucson HS) and Garcia each went 1 for 2.
- The Aztecs finished the season with a 30-28 overall record and 25-23 in ACCAC conference play. The Aztecs had seven sophomores on this year's squad.
PCC 2 0 0 0 0 2 5 2
AWC 2 3 0 6 x 11 15 0