The Pima Community College men's tennis team opened play in the NJCAA Division I National Championship on Monday at the Jim Reffkin Tennis Center.
- Freshman Oscar Aguilera provided Pima's only victory of the day as he defeated Ken Herrmann from the College of Lake County (IL) 6-2, 6-0. He will advance to the round of 16 on Tuesday against No. 7 ranked Cristobal Quevedo from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (GA) at 9:00 a.m.
- The No. 1 doubles duo of sophomores Chris McDaniels (Tanque Verde HS) and Beau Boyer (Cibola HS) rallied to force a third set but fell to Chris Lawrence and Isaac Santitto from East Central Community College (MS) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1. McDaniels and Boyer will play Herrmann and Mike Sims from Lake County on Tuesday 2:00 p.m,.
- In singles play, McDaniels lost to Thomas Norwood from Harford Community College (MD) 6-3, 6-0. He will play Lawrence in the first round of the consolation bracket on Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. Boyer dropped his No. 3 singles opening round match to John Edwards from Collin College (TX) 6-2, 6-1.
- Freshman Edgar Franco (Cibola HS) fell in his No. 4 singles match to Ulises Barradas from Prairie State College (IL) 6-4, 6-1 while fellow freshman Darin Trejo (St. David HS) dropped his match at No. 5 singles to Juan Carlos Garrido from Collin College 6-1, 6-1.
- Boyer, Franco and Trejo all received byes in their respected consolation brackets.
- The No. 2 doubles team of Aguilera and Franco received a bye to the round of 16 where they will play Ethan Aycock and Nick Hester from Wallace State College (AL) in Tuesday's play at 2:30 p.m.
Competition continues at the Jim Reffkin Tennis Center on Tuesday starting at 8:00 a.m.
For complete results of the NJCAA Division I National Championship, visit USTA