Posted: May 20, 2020
Pima Community College men's soccer player Itsuki Ishihara has found a new home where he will continue his educational and athletic endeavors for the next two years.
- Ishihara, a midfielder from Hyogo, Japan, signed to play at Mount Mercy University, an NAIA school in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The Mustangs play in the Heart of America Athletic Conference.
- "I chose Mount Mercy University because their conditions were in place and they gave me the (tools) I want to continue my career in a good environment," Ishihara said.
- Ishihara was a two-time recipient of being named to the NJCAA Division I All-Tournament team. He was part of the 2018 NJCAA Division I National Championship team. He scored three goals during the tournament that year.
- Ishihara helped the Aztecs get back to the national tournament this season and scored a goal and had an assist.
- "The two years I experienced at Pima were very fruitful," Ishihara said. "I had never experienced the joy of becoming a national champion. Arguably the best thing in my life."
- Ishihara played in 20 games this season making 18 starts. He scored 14 goals and had four assists on the season. As a freshman, he played in 27 games; making 24 starts. He scored 15 goals and had five assists.
The Aztecs went 41-6-2 in Ishihara's two years with the Aztecs.