The Pima Community College men's soccer team (14-3-1) accomplished something rare in its NJCAA Region I, Division I semifinals match on Wednesday against Yavapai College.
- The No. 3 seeded Aztecs defeated No. 2 Roughriders 1-0 in overtime as sophomore Itsuki Ishihara scored in the box with 57 seconds left on the clock. Freshman Jacob Contreras (Ironwood Ridge HS) dribbled the ball from coast-to-coast and fed him the pass.
- This was only the fourth time the Aztecs have beaten the Roughriders (15-4) in Prescott during the Region I tournament (1999, 2010, 2011).
- The Aztecs pressured the Roughriders in the first half with five shots on goal but the game remained scoreless.
- The Roughriders had a chance to take the lead on a penalty kick early in the second half but the shot was wide and deflected off the goal post. The Pima backfield held Yavapai to three shots on goal.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Nils Roth had a pair of saves earlier in the overtime play. He finished with three for the game.
The Aztecs will play No. 4 Arizona Western College in the NJCAA Region I, Division I finals match on Saturday at Kino North Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6:00 p.m. Arizona Western beat No. 1 seed Phoenix College 3-2 in overtime to advance.