The Pima Community College men's soccer team (9-2-1, 5-1 in ACCAC) established its dominance in the second half of its game on Thursday against Mesa Community College (8-6, 3-4).
- After a scoreless first half, the No. 8 ranked Aztecs scored four goals to beat the Thunderbirds 4-0. The Aztecs have won six of their last seven games.
- Sophomore Nico Walschburger scored two goals for the Aztecs. He put Pima up 2-0 with a goal in the 70th minute that was assisted by freshman Esteban Manzo (Salpointe Catholic HS). Walschburger drove in another goal in the 79th minute with an assist from freshman Jacob Contreras (Ironwood Ridge HS).
- With the game scoreless and 14 minutes gone by in the second half, the Thunderbirds had a penalty kick opportunity. Sophomore goalkeeper Nils Roth made a diving save to preserve the shutout. The Aztecs got on the board two minutes later when Itsuki Ishihara scored in the box after a cross-pass assist from sophomore Ricky Gordillo (Maya HS).
- Sophomore Alec Nguyen (Sahuaro HS) scored his goal in the 78th minute as Manzo had his second assist of the game to make it 3-0.
- The Aztecs had 10 shots on goal for the game and Roth finished with five saves.
The Aztecs will hit the road on Saturday when they play at Chandler-Gilbert Community College. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m.