The Pima Community College men's soccer team (20-2) claimed its fourth NJCAA Region I, Division I title in five years on Saturday.
- The No. 1 seeded Aztecs scored two second half goals to down No. 6 Chandler-Gilbert Community College 2-0. It was Pima's sixth region championship in 10 years.
- Sophomore Hugo Kametani, this year's ACCAC/Region I Player of the Year, lived up to his title as he scored both goals in the 52nd and 74th minutes. Freshmen Alec Nguyen (Sahuaro HS) and Yuki Jahara had the assists.
- The Aztecs were held without a shot on goal in the first half as neither team established an offensive rhythm.
- The Aztecs finished the game with three shots on goal. Freshman goalkeeper Nils Roth finished with two saves.
- Freshman defender Martin Cardenas (Sabino HS) was named the game's Most Valuable Player after anchoring the Aztecs' shutout win.
- This is the third time is David Cosgrove's career at Pima that his team has won 20 games.
The Aztecs will host the four-team NJCAA District I Tournament on Friday and Saturday at Kino North Stadium. Details are TBA.