The Pima Community College men's soccer team (19-2) advanced to the NJCAA Region I, Division I Championship round on Thursday.
- The No. 1 seeded Aztecs defeated No. 4 Yavapai College (16-7) 1-0 in the semifinal match-up at Kino North Stadium. It was the first time the Aztecs had beaten the Roughriders twice in a season since 2010.
- Freshman Itsuki Ishihara scored the goal for the Aztecs in the 13th minute with an assist from fellow freshman Ricky Gordillo (Maya HS).
- The Aztecs defense of sophomores Kaskile Zawadi (Cholla HS), Jacob Pacheco, Daniel Suazo (Tucson HS), Jose Irra (Barry Goldwater HS) and freshman Martin Cardenas (Sabino HS) smothered the Roughriders allowing just one shot on goal for the game; none in the second half.
- Freshman goalkeeper Nils Roth finished with one save.
- The Aztecs won the rubber match as the teams split during the regular season. The Roughriders won 3-1 last month in Prescott and the Aztecs earned a 3-2 overtime win last Thursday at Kino.
The Aztecs will play No. 6 seed Chandler-Gilbert Community College on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The Coyotes upset No. 3 Arizona Western College on Tuesday and No. 2 seed Phoenix College on Thursday.