The Pima Community College men's soccer team (17-2) could not have pulled off a more dramatic victory on Thursday at Kino North Stadium.
- Freshman Javier Vega scored the golden goal from 25-feet with 41 seconds left in the first overtime to give the No. 3 ranked Aztecs a 3-2 win over Yavapai College (14-6).
- The win clinched back-to-back ACCAC conference titles for the Aztecs for the first time since 1987-1988 according to David Cosgrove. The win also helped secure the most points in program history for the regular season. The previous record was 50 in 2015. The win on Thursday gave them 51 points.
- In the overtime, the Roughriders had a clear shot inside the box but freshman goalkeeper Nils Roth made a spectacular diving save with just over a minute left to keep play alive. The Aztecs won it 30 seconds later.
- The Aztecs took a 2-0 at halftime. Freshman Alec Nguyen (Sahuaro HS) had a goal and an assist. He assisted in sophomore Isaias German's goal in the 11th minute and netted his goal in the 16th minute with a free kick assist from sophomore Hugo Kametani.
- Pima men's soccer coach David Cosgrove called this "the best regular season in program history."
- "The fact is, they just find a way to win," Pima men's soccer coach David Cosgrove said of his team. "They expect to win and they like to win. Sometimes they're really good, sometimes lucky but they're able to dig out on a consistent basis. Every result and bounce has gone our way. When you put in the hard work, you create your own luck."
The Aztecs close out the regular season on Saturday when they host a make-up game against Glendale Community College at Kino North Grandstand. The match begins at 9:00 a.m.