The Pima Community College men's basketball team (14-10, 8-8 in ACCAC) scored a huge win on Wednesday at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs upset No. 15 ranked Scottsdale Community College 87-84. The Aztecs have won three straight since dropping six of seven.
- Up 80-79 with 1:03 left, freshman Jake Lieppert (Saguaro HS) drained a huge three-pointer to make it 83-79. The Artichokes (19-5, 11-5) scored and instantly called timeout with 29.0 seconds left. They fouled sophomore Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) but he capitalized on his free throws to make it 85-81. Scottsdale cut it back to a one-point game after a three-point play. Lieppert was fouled and hit both free throws. Scotttsdale's Xavier Fuller attempted a final three-pointer that hit the rim as time expired.
- The Aztecs trailed for the entire first half and were down 39-32 at halftime. They made it close to begin the second half. Sophomore Nick Rosquist (The Gregory School) tied the game at 54-54 with a three-pointer. Freshman Sammy Legleu (Nogales HS) gave the Aztecs their first lead of the game at 58-56 with 10:48 left. Legleu's basket started an 11-2 run as Pima took a 67-58 lead with 8:42 left. The Aztecs never gave up the lead.
- Robinson scored a team-high 24 points. He went 13 for 13 from the free throw line. Lieppert could not be contained on the glass as he finished with a double-double of 23 points and 15 rebounds.
- Sophomore Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) posted 14 points with seven rebounds and four assists while fellow sophomore Cole Gerken (Ironwood Ridge HS) scored all 13 of his points in the second half. He was 5 for 8 from the field and 3 for 5 from three-point range. Rosquist added 11 points off the bench.
- The Aztecs finished the game 21 for 23 from the free throw line. They also hit 14 3-pointers while the Artichokes made four.
The Aztecs will hit the road on Saturday to play at Tohono O'odham Community College. Tipoff is set for 4:00 p.m.
SCC 39 45 84
PCC 32 55 87