The Pima Community College men's basketball team (12-10, 6-8 in ACCAC) snapped its four-game losing streak on Wednesday at Arizona Western College (14-8, 8-6).
- The Aztecs used a big run in the first half and held a double digit advantage for much of the second half to beat the Matadors 92-81.
- With the game tied at 29-29 with 6:10 left in the first half, the Aztecs went on a 14-0 run in almost five minutes that was capped by freshman Jake Lieppert's (Saguaro HS) three-point play to put Pima up 43-29 with 1:29 left. The Aztecs held a 44-33 lead at halftime.
- The Matadors cut Pima's lead to nine points on three occasions almost mid-way through the second half. Up 64-55, the Aztecs went on a 17-6 run in five and a half minutes to take their biggest lead at 81-61 with 5:07 left.
- Lieppert led the Aztecs with 24 points to go along with six rebounds and three assists. Sophomore Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) was nearly flawless from the free throw line as he went 11 for 12 and finished with 20 points and eight rebounds.
- Sophomores Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) and Cole Gerken (Ironwood Ridge HS) provided double-doubles. Smith fell short of a triple-double as he posted 16 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists. Gerken contributed with 15 points on 5 for 9 shooting to go along with 12 rebounds, four assists and three steals. Freshman Sammy Legleu (Nogales HS) scored 10 points.
The Aztecs will play at Central Arizona College on Saturday in Coolidge. Tipoff is set for 4:00 p.m.
PCC 44 48 92
AWC 33 48 81