The Pima Community College men's basketball team (9-4) used a second half run to take over its game on Sunday in the second day of the Aztec Winter Classic.
- The Aztecs defeated Portland Community College 97-79 for their fifth straight win.
- The Aztecs led 54-38 at halftime but the Panthers gradually cut into the Pima lead. The Aztecs led 69-68 with under nine minutes left until freshman Jake Lieppert (Saguaro HS) drained a three-pointer. It was followed by freshman Sammy Legleu, (Nogales HS) as he scored on back-to-back jumpers. After another Lieppert basket, the Aztecs led 78-70 forcing the Panthers to call timeout with 6:29 left.
- The Aztecs went on a 21-2 run in five minutes to take a 90-70 lead with 3:26 left in the game.
- Lieppert led the way with a game-high 22 points to go along with six rebounds and four assists.
- Sophomore Kaylon Tippins (Cholla HS) finished with 17 points and five rebounds while Legleu posted 16 points on 7 for 9 shooting off bench.
- Sophomore Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) added 14 points with seven rebounds and four assists and fellow sophomore Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) fell short of a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
The Aztecs will close out play in the Aztec Winter Classic on Monday when they take on Colorado Northwestern Community College at 1:00 p.m.
PORT 38 41 79
PCC 54 43 97