The Pima Community College men's basketball team (8-4) handed North Idaho College its first loss of the season (10-1) on Saturday in the first day of the Aztec Winter Classic.
- The Aztecs led from start to finish as they outgunned the Cardinals 127-80.
- The Aztecs opened the game with a 31-8 run as they held the Cardinals to 12 points in the first 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The Cardinals went 0 for 9 from three-point range while the Aztecs went 6 for 9 in their first attempts from beyond the arc. The Aztecs led 59-32 at halftime.
- The Aztecs left no doubt as they outscored the Cardinals 34-15 to start the second half to take a 93-47 lead. The Aztecs led by as much as 52 points.
- Freshman Jake Lippert (Saguaro HS) scored a team-high 36 points as he went 12 for 19 from the field and 8 for 14 from the three-point arc. Freshman Kaylon Tippins (Cholla HS) finished with a double-double of 18 points and 12 rebounds.
- Sophomore Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) went 5 for 6 from the field and finished with 16 points to go along with nine assists and six rebounds. Fellow sophomore Nick Rosquist (The Gregory School) scored 13 points off the bench and went 3 for 4 from three-point range.
- Sophomore Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) added 12 points with eight assists and seven rebounds while freshman Sammy Legleu (Nogales HS) had 12 points, five assists and four rebounds off the bench.
The Aztecs will return for the second day of the Aztec Winter Classic as they take on Portland Community College at 6:00 p.m.
NIC 32 48 80
PCC 59 68 127