The Pima Community College men's basketball team (25-6) advanced to its third straight NJCAA Region I, Division II finals on Wednesday after beating Glendale Community College (16-14) in the semifinal match-up at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium.
- The No. 1 seeded Aztecs defeated the No. 4 Gauchos 101-77 and will play No. 2 Scottsdale Community College in the Region I, Division II finals on Friday at 7:00 p.m.
- Sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS) broke the Pima all-time scoring record with 9:02 left in the second half when he scored on a floater as he drove the lane. The previous record was held by Greg Cook (Sunnyside HS) set in 1980 (39 years) with 1,240 points. Carrasco scored 12 points which put his total at 1,241 points. He was 5 for 9 from the floor and also grabbed five rebounds and five assists.
- The Gauchos tried slowing the pace of the game but the Aztecs were able to grab a double digit lead at 22-12 with 7:09 left in the half in route to a 36-20 at halftime. The Aztecs came out in the second half and started on a 10-0 run and led by as much as 41 points more than mid-way through the second half.
- Freshman Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) led all scorers with 21 points as he went 8 for 13 from the floor and 4 for 7 from three-point range. He also had six rebounds and five assists.
- Sophomore Kennedy Koehler finished with his 18th double-double of the season as he posted 14 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman Cole Gerken (Ironwood Ridge HS) scored 12 points off the bench while sophomore Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) contributed with 10 points, seven rebounds and four assists. All 12 Aztecs players who checked into the game scored at least two points.
The Aztecs will host No. 2 Scottsdale Community College on Friday at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium. Fans are encouraged to wear navy blue to the game. Tipoff at 7:00 p.m.
GCC 20 57 77
PCC 36 65 101