The Pima Community College men's basketball team (13-3, 6-2 in ACCAC) overcame a tight battle on Wednesday against South Mountain Community College (7-9, 2-6) to win its ninth straight game.
- Freshman Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) came up with the steal as time expired as the No. 11 ranked Aztecs beat the Cougars 73-70.
- The Aztecs led 71-70 as sophomore Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) grabbed an offensive rebound and drew a foul. He missed the second free throw and collected his own offensive board. He missed both free throws but Smith collected another offensive loose ball and he went to the foul line with 6.8 seconds left.
- Down 36-35 in the early minutes of the second half, the Aztecs went on a 17-7 run to take a 52-43 lead with 10 minute left. Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) hit a three-pointer to give the Aztecs their biggest lead at 56-45 with 8:44 left. The Cougars went on a 13-4 run to cut Pima's lead to 60-58.
- The Aztecs trailed 21-13 half way through the first half and held the Cougars scoreless for seven minutes while going on a 14-0 to take it 27-21. The Aztecs led 32-31 at halftime.
- Sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS) went 8 for 10 shooting in the second half as he scored 30 points for the game. He finished 11 for 17 total. He was also 6 for 9 from three-point range.
- Wilson captured another double-double as he had 13 points and 14 rebounds. Robinson posted 12 points while sophomore Kennedy Koehler contributed with 10 points.
The Aztecs will hit the road on Saturday when they play at Chandler-Gilbert Community College. Tipoff is at 4:00 p.m.
SMCC 31 39 70
PCC 32 41 73