The Pima Community College men's basketball team (12-3, 5-2 in ACCAC) would not be denied as it secured its eighth straight win.
- The No. 12 ranked Aztecs beat Division I Mesa Community College 100-68 on Saturday at the West Campus Gymnasium.
- The Aztecs took a 37-30 but then the three-point barrage came into play in a 17-0 run to put Pima up 54-30. The Aztecs led 56-33 at halftime. They went 12 for 22 in the first half from the three-point stripe. Pima went 6 for 14 in the second half.
- The Thunderbirds (7-7, 3-4) opened the second half on a 17-7 run to close the gap to 63-50 but the Aztecs responded with an 18-8 run to make it 81-58.
- All five starters scored in double figures as freshman Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) scored a game-high 23 points on 8 for 11 shooting. He also had five rebounds and five assists.
- Sophomores Kennedy Koehler and Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) posted double-doubles. Koehler finished with 18 points and 13 rebounds. He went 7 for 12 from the field and 4 for 7 from three-point range. Wilson had 16 points and 11 rebounds. He went 5 for 7 from the field.
- Sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS) had 15 points on 6 for 10 shooting to go along with six rebounds. Freshman Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) contributed with 12 points, six rebounds and five assists.
The Aztecs will be back at the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Wednesday when they host South Mountain Community College. Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m.
MCC 33 35 68
PCC 56 44 100