The Pima Community College men's basketball team (11-3) won its seventh straight game on Sunday after completing play in the Aztec Classic Invitational.
- The No. 12 ranked Aztecs (Division II) defeated No. 20 ranked New Mexico Junior College (Division I), 80-71.
- Up 68-66, the Aztecs went on an 11-0 run in a little over three minutes to take control at 79-66 with 45 seconds left. Freshman Rashad Smith (Hamilton HS) hit a pair of three-pointers during that stretch.
- The Aztecs and the Thunderbirds (12-2) played a tight first half as well. Up 20-18, the Aztecs went on a 13-4 run to take a 33-22 lead with 3:34 left in the half. The Aztecs led 35-27 at the break.
- Sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS) scored a team-high 16 points to go along with seven rebounds.
- Sophomore Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) finished with 15 points on 6 for 9 shooting and eight rebounds. Fellow sophomore Kennedy Koehler also had 15 points with seven rebounds.
- Freshman Jordan Robinson (Tucson HS) posted 12 points with eight rebounds and four assists. Smith contributed with nine points, eight rebounds and five assists.
- The Aztecs went 3-0 during their hosted invitational. Koehler and Wilson averaged double-doubles in points and rebounds. Koehler posted 19.6 points and 10.3 rebounds per game while Wilson averaged 14 points and 11.3 rebounds.
The Aztecs will return to the West Campus Aztec Gymnasium on Saturday when they host Mesa Community College. Tipoff is at 4:00 p.m.
NMJC 27 44 71
PCC 35 45 80