The Pima Community College men's basketball team (10-3) gutted out a victory on Saturday in the second day of the Aztec Classic Invitational.
- The No. 12 ranked Aztecs beat Macomb Community College 91-89 in a back-and-forth battle between two NJCAA Division II programs.
- Up 89-88 after the Monarchs (8-3) hit a three-pointer, The Aztecs turned to sophomore Abram Carrasco (Cholla HS), who hit a pair of free throws with under 10 seconds left. The Monarchs were fouled at the three-point line and Alante' Coward made 1 of 3 foul shots with two seconds remaining. Sophomore Kennedy Koehler collected the ensuing defensive rebound to seal it.
- The Aztecs went 6 for 8 at the line and made six straight. They finished the game 18 for 32.
- Down 69-67, the Aztecs went on a 13-4 run to take an 80-73 advantage with 4:53 left. The Monarchs responded with a 10-5 run to cut the deficit to 85-83.
- The game featured 11 ties and 13 lead changes. Neither team held a double digit lead.
- Koehler scored a game-high 27 points and had 16 rebounds. Sophomore Robert Wilson (Salpointe Catholic HS) also had a double-double of 13 points and 16 rebounds. Carrasco finished with 25 points.
- Sophomore Davonte Eason (Tucson HS) came off the bench and scored all 13 of his points in the second half.
The Aztecs close out play in the Aztec Classic Invitational on Sunday when they play New Mexico Junior College at 1:00 p.m.
MCC 45 44 89
PCC 48 43 91